Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pity Party...Who Wants In?

I'm in a funk lately...plain and simple.  Ever have those?  Negative feelings that you just can't shake no matter how hard you try?  That's me right now.  And for the sake of getting out some of my melancholic musings, I'll give a list of potential reasons why:
  1. I'm tired.  Why?  Because I'm a mom.
  2. I don't feel incredibly supported in being a stay at home mom.  Finding "mom friends" has been more difficult than I anticipated, despite my continuous attempts.
  3. I've come across several people recently who seem to think that being a mom is nothing more than going about  your day as normal with the exception of toting around a little person with you.  I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't have a family to understand exactly what family life is like, but I would hope that a person in a different life stage would, at minimum, respect people who have given their lives to their families.
  4. Admittedly, I'm sick of hearing how busy everyone is - we're all busy!  Ever notice how people try to "outbusy" you?  It's as if someone with 15 commitments in a given day is "better" than someone who only sees a dozen things on his/her calendar. 
  5. I haven't felt overwhelming support for our family regarding our decision to pursue grad school for Drake, even though it's something that we have prayed about for nearly a year now and take to prayer daily.  We feel strongly that this is the next step for our family and that it is one way that Drake can better serve our family.  It's hard to be hopeful when so many others don't seem to think it's a good idea.   
  6. Sometimes I feel like I do the same things, day in and day out - and it's wearing on me.  Laundry is "done" for what feels like a solid 30 seconds before there is a mountain of clothes growing in our bedroom.  Meals are prepared with much attention to detail and in the time that I find between all that Thomas and the home require, but then the food is eaten, a compliment is given, and it's over until the next meal.  I would make a terrible chef or restaurant owner. 
  7. In my experience, the good majority of activities to do out in the community with kids are geared toward toddlers and older.  Presently, I feel as though I have exhausted the things to do that are age appropriate for Thomas. 
  8. Honestly, reason #1 is likely the most likely reason for the funk.
Sorry for a cranky, picture-less post.  It's just where I'm at right now.  Pray for me, eh?



St. Gianna, Pray for Us!

7 comments:

  1. You're a great mom.

    And I love you.

    And I'll be in front of Jesus today praying for you =]

    ll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of hugs for you Lauren. You mean being a mom isn't sitting and eating bons bons all day while the kids entertain themselves? :) You are not alone in feeling this way. I think the cold unfriendly weather isn't helping much either. Does your library have a story time? Or is there a Borders or Barnes and Noble by you that has one? We go to the library and just sit in the corner and read books. It's nothing thrilling, but at least it's not sitting at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just thought of something else- Stephanie said something about how you like to workout. Does your gym offer free babysitting services? I used to feel bad taking AJ and Adam to babysitting while I worked out, but then one day I used only machines that were by the window of the babysitting room and I watched them have so much fun playing with and watching the other kids. I know Thomas isn't old enough to really "play" with other kids, but I bet he would enjoy watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren - thanks for your prayers, dear. I truly appreciate it!

    Amy - thanks for empathizing :). We go to both library programs each week (Champaign and Urbana). I've been working out in the early mornings, and that seems to be working out well (just need to get to bed earlier at night!), plus the childcare isn't free at my gym which is another push for going early instead. I agree that the cold weather puts a kink in the works sometimes. We're starting a music class soon, and we might start going to open swims at the park district even though we have to pay...we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your funk. I know how you feel - it's been my life for the past three years (Dang! Has it been that long already?!). I'm avaliable to call if you want to talk about it more. I could talk about this post for days on end. :)
    ~Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. I am with you though- why can't people see that being a stay at home mom is MUCH more involved than just going about your day with an extra person around? YOu know what really gets me? People that say that that USED to stay home with their own kids. *sigh* Chin up, darling! You aren't in this alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I'm not a momma, I can empathize with this. I'm taking care of *other* people's children, and I feel like I'm constantly being judged for it. Sometimes even by the family I'm nannying for. They tell me all the time "I'm not sure how you do it" and I don't know if it's because they think it's hard, or because they have no desire to do it. People who don't take care of children of their own or other people's children don't realize how emotionally and physically draining it really is.

    By the end of the day I'm *so* ready to go home and have some adult interaction, and I realize that mom's aren't ever able to "be done". I especially feel for single mom's now too, I can't imagine parenting all day without the help of someone else. By the evening I am tired, worn out, and a lot of times crabby. And a single mom has to do it all on her own. They are definitely in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete