Thursday, July 8, 2010

small successes, vol 1

FaithButton


In true melancholic fashion, I've deliberated for months about doing this weekly post.  I don't want to come across as showy or better than anyone else.  And once you read these, I'm sure you'll be able to think up at least a dozen successes that you've had these week that far outweigh mine!  But the main reason I'm doing this is for myself...a personal reminder that my vocation matters, that it makes a difference, and that it's what God is calling me to do.  I'm not looking for any applause here - it's simply a little boost for myself and myself alone, a reason to glorify God.

Now I'm done explaining myself.  I promise.

1.  We've been doing a lot of hosting lately, and by the grace of God, I've managed to make every meal with minimal shopping.  I hate needing to run out the grocery store to "pick up a few things" for every meal - it gets way too expensive, and I simply don't have time for that!  So I've really made efforts to use what we have.  The other night I was able to have a dinner of spinach/strawberry/walnut salad (with homemade dressing), baked chicken, and alfredo pasta on the table before my husband arrived home.  Oh, and we had homemade blueberry-strawberry cobbler for dessert.  Delish.

2.  I've felt pretty on top of the small details of our move recently.  Yesterday, Drake and I made the arrangements to have our utility services canceled here on our move-out date and started up at our new place in August.  It was only a matter of phone calls, but they were time consuming.  Feels good to have that taken care of.  We have appointments set up with my new OB office as well as a new pediatrician for Thomas and #2.  I've also compiled a list of things we're trying to find on Craig's List and have taken time to do some researching and emailing.  I'm crossing my fingers for one item in particular - one of the kid-friendly storage sets I'd like to have.

3.  Despite a sick child, sick husband, and frequent nightly trips to the bathroom, I've managed to stick with my morning plan of waking up early to shower and read Divine Intimacy before anyone else wakes up.  Even though I'd really love the extra zzz's, I know that it's hard for me to wake up and just need to be "on."  Now, I'm ready to crash by about 7:30pm most nights because of it, but it's really made a difference in how I feel throughout the day.  It helps me handle the toddler tantrums, pregnancy challenges, and daily stressors with more ease than I would otherwise.  And sometimes Thomas sleeps in a little more than usual, leaving me time to blog!  Bonus!

1 comment:

  1. Those are small successes but they make a HUGE difference!

    ReplyDelete