Sunday, January 16, 2011

support this ministry. please!

Yesterday I had the greatest experience at a used furniture store that I've ever had.  And yes, I say that definitively.  Hands down, this shopping trip and the events that happened afterward were a total God-send.

To give you a little back story, I was desperately desiring a large rug for our kitchen.  You see, the entrance to our home is on the side of the house off the driveway rather than the front.  And I've found my stress levels increasing whenever we would enter our home because we would track water, dirt, salt, tiny sticks, gravel, and anything else that had worked its way into the crevices of the bottoms of our shoes.  Without a rug, this all pooled on the floor, causing wet socks, a falling toddler, a longer to-do list, and a frustrated mommy.  See how desperately we needed a rug?

I was on a mission yesterday.  I was going to find the perfect cheap rug.  And boy did I!

Some friends of ours had purchased a really nice used piece of furniture for their home at this store.  So I called them up, hoping to give this place our business as well.

With my adorable daughter and bestie Steph Thomas in tow, we walked into the low-lit, bustling world of used furniture.  I cut to the chase and asked where I could find rugs.  Steph and I found a handful of possibilities, but all of them had drawbacks (too small, awkward size, too many flowers...).  We almost left, heading toward the exit doors, but then decided to do another quick lap around. 

Lo and behold, we found the rug.  We both knew it without needing to say a word.  The problem?  No tag.  And we had just been told seconds earlier that any rug without a tag was not for sale.  But this was THE rug.  I had to ask -- at worst, they would say no; at best, we would walk out with a sure-to-be-stress-reducing rug!

"Excuse me, mam, there's a rug over there that doesn't have a tag.  But it is the perfect rug for my home.  Is there any chance you're willing to sell it?"  The kind saleswoman came over to take a look.  "You know, I don't see why not.  Let me go check."  She came back after a bit of consulting with her coworkers.  "We're willing to part with it for 115 dollars."  The look on my face must have been very telling of my concern as she quickly added, "I'm just kidding.  We'll give it to you for $15."  My face lit up - sold!

We headed to the check-out table where sweet Maria was pouring on the charm.  Between the constant smiles of my newborn and my excitement about this rug, I unknowingly left my wallet at the store.  Stephanie and I ran two more errands, all the while traveling without my license, debit card, credit card, insurance cards, and gift cards.

A few hours after we had arrived home, we were sitting at the dinner table with Drake sharing in light conversation.  A knock at the door came as a surprise as we weren't expecting anyone.  Drake turned on the outside light and opened the door.  "Excuse me, is this 233?" asked an unassuming woman.  "Yes...," Drake answered hesitantly.  "Can I ask you to verify the last name?" she asked.  Seconds after he did, she handed him a red wallet. "Oh good, I think your wife left this at our store today," she said as she peered into our kitchen.  I recognized her right away, though I couldn't seem to find the words in that unexpected moment to express my gratitude.  Drake thanked her verbally and with a heartfelt smile, and she headed back to her car.

I have written all this to beg you to support Jubliee Furniture.  The people at this store went above and beyond in seemingly every way possible.  Not only did they sell me a rug that they hadn't intended on parting with, but they then HAND DELIVERED my wallet (and consequently a number of my most important personal belongings) right to my door.  I am still in some shock over the whole ordeal and intend to recommend this business to everyone I know.  If you live in the Chicago suburbs or know people who do or happen to be visiting up this way, I am pleading with you to check out this store and spread the word.  The people are obviously incredible people of God, and they have some high-quality furniture that just might fit your fancy (and your budget!). 

Thank you again, Jubilee.  I will undoubtedly be back.  May the Lord bless you and your ministry!

3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic story! It gave me goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren! Thanks for the wonderful endorsement! After discovering your wallet by the cash register, I, unsuccessfully, tried to find your phone number online and then called 411 (did you know there's a Lauren Steed in Naperville? - yep, and I left her a weird "call me" message!) Nancy (the woman who drove to your house to return your wallet) and I determined the only thing to do was hand deliver it. Both of us thought, "if we'd lost our wallet and all that it contains - we'd be frantic!" and didn't want you to go through that. Mapquest showed you lived only about 15 minutes from the store and...you know the rest of the story!

    Serving our customers well is very important to us at Jubilee Furniture - and one of the coolest things is, except for me and a warehouse manager, the rest of the "staff" are all volunteers! Donate their time/talent/energies to work in a poorly lite, coldish warehouse, filled with used furniture. But you've discovered the truth - the beauty, warmth, and love of God shines very brightly through my volunteers which creates an amazing shopping experience!

    Thanks for sharing about Jubilee Furniture!

    Oh, and your daughter is seriously adorable!

    Take care -

    Susan Galbraith
    Jubilee Furniture General Manager

    ReplyDelete