Sunday, June 20, 2010

the missionary life

I think it started in high school that I had the aspirations to become a missionary - someone who traveled internationally, eating with the poor, spreading the Gospel, being the face of God for orphans, widows, old, and young alike.  I thought this was a way that I could impact many people and bring them closer to Christ...and, as an added bonus, it would glorify me a little bit as well.  Nice!

Those sentiments didn't change too much in college - in fact, I felt more compelled to pursue the missionary life.  I remember quite clearly nearly sprinting to the chapel one random weekday afternoon as I couldn't focus on my homework or internship tasks.  I just wanted to goGo somewhere, do something that I deemed more relevant than my research paper, leave the tasks at hand to serve.  I, like the woman in this fantastic article  I distinctly recall begging God to reveal my vocation to me, asking Him to send me somewhere...or at the very least give me peace about my current situation.

And it was because of that pleading that I realized the opportunities to serve are a part of every moment, no matter the vocation.  Fast forward a few years to the present. 

I'm a young wife of two years and mother of two.  I'm not a world traveler.  I don't have an advanced degree.  Heck, I don't very often use my undergraduate degree.  I don't work outside the home.  I have no paycheck to my name. 

Drake and I were asked somewhat recently if we regretted starting our family right away, foregoing life as missionaries, and being, in some ways, forced to dedicate ourselves to our family.  Without a moment of hesitation, I replied, "We are missionaries." (I'll admit that I surprised myself a bit).  "I'm a stay at home mom.  I don't get time off.  I'm on call 24/7.  I live the spiritual and corporal works of mercy through serving my family, through pouring my love onto them."  I think everyone was taken aback a bit, but I knew I was just stating the facts. 

The life that God has chosen for Drake and I is a beautiful one.  It's hidden, humbling, difficult, and often misunderstood.  I go to bed more exhausted than I ever have before.  Family life, though beautiful and rewarding in many ways, is where the Lord has asked me to serve.  Right here in Illinois, within our home, through the daily joys and challenges.  It's sanctifying in ways I never thought possible.  And though family life might not be the vocation that people immediately associate with "changing the world," I know it to be true that family is the single most important institution in the world.  It's about saving souls, fostering a community of love, and striving for holiness day in and day out.  If that's not going to change the world, I'm not sure what will.

2 comments:

  1. I totally relate to you on this one. Thanks for sharing and for the reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness... this really spoke to me today. I'm tempted to print this off and paste it on my fridge. <3

    ReplyDelete