Tuesday, April 13, 2010

a new set of wheels

Several weeks ago, Drake and I sent out an email to friends and family asking that they would keep their eyes and ears open about anyone they knew selling a mini van.    We were hoping to purchase one through people we knew, rather than a stranger trying to earn a quick buck.  Interestingly enough, the latter is what ended up happening!

Several people emailed me back assuring us of their prayers and open eyes and ears, and we had one lead on a car that didn't work out.  We decided that we would wait it out for a while until we heard from someone.  A good friend of ours emailed a few days later and let us know that he saw a mini van for sale in the parking lot of his condo.  With only the phone number to go by, I called to get more information.  The car was a 2000 silver Dodge Caravan with 47,000 miles on it, and this man wanted to sell the car because it belonged to his grandmother who had recently passed away.  It seats seven - 2 captain seats in the front, 2-person bench in the middle, and 3-person bench in the back.  The benches fold down (though not into the floor).

Drake called a few days later to get more information so that we could plug it into Kelly Blue Book, Carfax, etc.  After several phone calls, a couple appointments up in the suburbs to go look at it, and some price negotiation, we now own it! (Sorry, I tried to insert a picture but had no luck...I'll keep working on it).
And after driving around a tiny Aveo for so long, this mini van feels like a bus...and I love every second of it!  Seriously, I feel  like I could be a chauffeur (which I know I will be in the upcoming years) and be the happiest woman in the world.  Perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration...but the point is that I'm SO thankful for this van.  It was in the lower end of our price range, too!  We've had two mechanics look at it, and both are quite impressed with the van.  It's really in amazing condition, and that very low mileage is incredible!  We'll be selling the Aveo soon and will become a one-car family again...but Drake will rely on public transportation when school starts so that I can have the van with the kiddos.

This was truly an answer to prayer and is one thing crossed off a to-do list that includes about 9723094 more items before our big move.  Thanks be to God!

2 comments: