Friday, April 30, 2010

taking time

I was talking with a friend at our Moms and Tots group this past week, and it really got me thinking...what a surprise.  These melancholic tendencies result in a lot of that!  But, I digress...

Angela was telling me about a book her mom is hoping to get for her, a book that stresses the importance (or, shall I say, dire need) for mothers to take time that is truly just for them.  And this isn't "mom time" spent alone at the grocery store or at the bank.  The book is talking about a true mini retreat of sorts - time for a mom to reflect, rejuvenate, and, dare I say it, relax!  And you know how often the book suggests?  Once a month - setting aside several hours, an afternoon, a full day...every 30 days.  A guaranteed 12 times per year that moms should take for the betterment of herself and ultimately for the benefit of her family.  Who's in?  I am!

When I think about putting this into practice, I instantly think about our already-packed family calendar.  How the heck am I going to find time to take a whole afternoon?  It would need to be on a weekend, and family time already comes at a premium around here it seems.  But we make time for these other things that we deem priorities...why shouldn't this hold the same weight?  And in my mind, this differs from simple time for myself.  This would be intentional, purposeful, and a means to an end - the end being self-care that is a gift to my family in the hopes that I would return home with an open heart and open mind regarding the vocation our Lord has chosen for me.  That sounds pretty important - so remind me again why it's not a priority?

"Well, we're busy as it is."  "I already don't get enough time to spend with my husband."  "I won't be able to do much that won't require my credit card."  "My husband works hard all week - I shouldn't be the only one who gets to relax on a weekend."  Oh the list goes on and on.

In the end, God (and my family) desire my well-being.  They desire my efforts at self-care, knowing that the nature of being a mother makes this all too rare.  They need me at my best since my job requires 24 hours per day of on-call time.  And they desire my holiness which, at least on my end, becomes further and further out of reach the more run-down I am.

And you know what?  I desire those things, too.  Looks like time away really should be a priority for more reasons than I thought! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great post! So many times I have wished for alone time- even just to go to the bathroom uninterrupted! It SHOULD be more of a priority. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren -- this is so very well put! Great post! Thanks for being an inspiration to other moms to realize that this mom-time is not only important/necessary....but so beneficial to one's family! :)

    ReplyDelete